Quick chilled summer soups are a great way to beat the heat and use up a ton of extra veggies from your garden bounty or CSA. Try this one topped with creamy Greek yogurt, sour cream, or even a swirl of olive oil for a little extra decadence.
Beet Gazpacho (makes 4 servings) Adapted from Feasting at Home
- 4 medium or 6 small beets, steamed and chilled
- One medium cucumber roughly chopped, save a few small bits for topping
- 1/4 c onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 c veggie stock or reserved water from steaming the beets
- 2 T red wine or sherry vinegar
- salt & pepper, to taste
- handful of fresh dill, chopped, save a few fronds for topping
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 c Greek yogurt or sour cream
Blend beets, cucumber, onion, garlic, salt & pepper, vinegar and stock/water in a blender on high speed for 4 minutes or until smooth, adding more liquid until the soup reaches desired consistency. Pour into 4 serving bowls and top with extra cucumber, dill fronds, avocado, & yogurt. Alternately, chill soup until ready to serve, should keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Looking for a Fun, Low Pressure, Neighborhood Gym? Try Honest Training. Your first week is Free!